Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hurrah for the Red and the Blue...

So tonight I grabbed the bull by the horns and I went to my first alumni event. I had forgotten a little how much I really am head over heels in love with my former university. I was very apprehensive initially because I did not know anyone else who is going, but over the years, talking the ears off of complete strangers has become a specialty of mine. I just love to meet new people and hear what they have to say.

Everyone was sooo friendly and they swarmed me because a) I was the youngest person there by at least 10 years and b) apparently I hold the magic key to mobilizing other recent graduates to get involved.

Regardless, the speaker was fascinating (An analyst and statistician for the elections bureau of a major news outlet. He says that Obama is going to win without a doubt unless something unpredictable happens in this country in the next two weeks.) and the conversation was scintillating. The time really flew and I barely wanted to leave.

At the end we sang our school "fight" song. I nearly teared up (SAP! I know I am... can't help it). I really did forget how much love and pride I have for my school. It also makes me miss it. But through my alumni network, I know that wherever I go, there is always a little bit of Penn there somewhere.

I left practically giddy and felt very fulfilled. Even if I did unwittingly agree to interviewing college applicants and helping to plan future events.

Here's a toast to dear old Penn.

No comments: